Go West Young Girlfriends—to Oregon
Oregon has much to love for My Girlfriendships® followers of all ages:
- If you love shopping (like we do here) you’ll love this: no sales tax! We’ll definitely be stocking up during this girlfriend's getaway.
Speaking of money, did you know that, during the Great Depression, North Bend Oregon used wooden coins as currency? To this day, the coins are considered legal tender, though they’re coveted by coin collectors and rarely spent.
- If you love a good vodka gimlet and its garnish, you have Oregon to thank for the filibert (aka hazelnut). More than 90% of the nation's commercial crop is harvested there.
- If you don’t love pumping your own gas, this is the place. Though the 1951 law has some exceptions and has relaxed over the years, for the most part, Oregon does not have self-serve gas stations.
If you and your crew are bike enthusiasts, consider Portland. The city is a bike-friendly zone, and is said to have more bicyclists than any other city in America. You could even rent a bike instead of spending hundreds on a car rental.
Beside bicycling, here are our suggestions for fun My Girlfriendships activities:
What to Do
- DIY Bar | “A Place For Crafty (And Not So Crafty) People”. No matter your skill level, you and your friends will be successful here. All you have to do is make a reservation, show up with your besties, and DIY Bar will provide everything you need to make one of more than 15 crafts. From macrame to mason jars, koozie to coaster, string art to a succulent pot. The best thing? No judgement! Just like you and your besties.
- Iöyly | Löyly is Finnish for the steam that comes off hot rocks at a sauna. It’s also the name for a fabulous spa in Portland. So fabulous that they won Best of Portland, and Best Spa and Best Massage 2020. Want to know who else loves Iöyly? Gwyneth Paltrow and her brand, Goop. Here’s their review. So, My Girlfriendships crew, need we say more? Are we all ready to gather for a Swedish massage?
Where to Stay
- The Jupiter, a Portland Hotel | In a neighborhood that was once a seedy Eastside dump, it is now an artistic, culturally vibrant scene with the affordable Jupiter Hotel. The owners describe the travelers who stay there as curious, adventurous, and like to have fun. Sounds like our kind of place, doesn’t it?
- 1906 Carl and Margaret Hoeber World's Fair House | If a short term rental is more your vibe, then this is perfect for you and five of your besties. Built when Portland hosted the World’s Fair in 1905, this 2 bedroom home drips with old world charm. Top-rated bars and our beloved shopping are just steps from this beautiful home.
Bend is a small, but growing city in beautiful, central Oregon. It straddles the Deschutes River, and is known for its outdoor scene. No wonder! It’s surrounded by volcanoes, alpine lakes, and wilderness areas. Mountain bikers love to ride the trails, and hikers find an incredibly diverse range of routes. Winter holds its own magic as Mt. Bachelor catches nearly 40 feet of snow each year, drawing skiers and snowboarders. Add in the vibrant and trendy foodie scene with restaurants staffed by up-and-coming chefs, and you’ll agree that Bend is one of the best places to consider for your girl’s trip.
Looking for girlfriend fun and adventure in Bend? Here couple of other suggestions:
What to Do
- Wanderlust Canoe Tours | Canoeing is all about teamwork—and that’s speaking our language here at My Girlfriendships! A two hour paddling tour on the high elevation mountain lakes of the Cascade Range takes you to places only accessible by paddling into the fingers, coves, bays, and wetlands. You and your crew will be awestruck at the sweeping views.
- Va Piano Tasting Room | Chi Va Piano, Va Sano e Va Lontano. “When you go slowly, you go safely and you go far.” This Italian proverb (from which the name of this vineyard is derived) is exactly what we need: a time to slow down and enjoy the best of life, especially with our girlfriends! The tasting room has floor-to-ceiling windows so you can enjoy the stunning views along the Deschutes River. Since Oregon produces some of the best Pinot Noir in the country, My Girlfriendships is definitely doing a tasting.
Where to Stay
Staying in Bend? Here a couple of suggestions:
- Riverhouse on the Deschutes | As one of the only hotels in Bend directly on the Deschutes River, the location sets the Riverhouse apart from the competition. Just five minutes from downtown, the scenic riverfront view and beautiful rooms give all you need to make your girlfriendships trip a fun and memorable one.
- Kingston House | Seven beds, three baths, in one of the best neighborhoods, and within walking distance to Bend’s hot spots. See why we’re recommending this as the ideal space for your getaway? Oh—here’s another reason. The outdoor landscaping and deck make it just as beautiful outside as it is inside.
Portland or Bend. No matter which you choose, you’re going to make memories with your besties.