Whisk Your Girlfriends Away to Oregon’s Wine Country
If you have had a chance to read at my previous Girlfriendships blog, you will have read about my two very important connections to Oregon and wineries. 1. My brother lives in Oregon right in the Willamette Valley. 2. My love lies with wineries because Pete and I were married at one. This blog joins them together.
Willamette Valley in Oregon is a gorgeous place snug between the Cascade Mountains and the Coast Range. It has more than 500 wineries within 150 miles.
Even though the current Oregon harvest season has drastically changed the usual events due to both the pandemic as well as fires, there are plenty of wineries still open that are the perfect setting for you and your girlfriends to relax, reconnect, and recharge. Take advantage of it and visit if you can— this is the perfect time to enjoy Oregon’s grapes, and specifically their famous Pinot Noir!
What to Do
- Visit Archery Summit. It’s just outside the city, and sits atop the beautiful Dundee Hills. You will be seated on their patio, where you can overlook estate vines, and relax in the lovely view of the hills. Don’t be fooled by the vast amount of space you have— it still has a very private, quiet feel. Archery Summit is an ideal place to sip and chat with your girlfriends (they allow up to six people per group).
- Spend time at the Argyle Winery is situated on 400 acres, and the Wall Street Journal calls it “Oregon’s best-known Champagne-method sparkling wine house". Then, when I saw that they described their relationship with the land as “deep and meaningful”, and pride themselves as people who “embrace opportunities and possibilities”, I thought that they could’ve been describing the magic of girlfriendships!
- Stop by Lange Winery, which is in Dundee as well. It offers a range of experiences—traditional reserved seated tastings, grounds tours, and even a virtual tasting option! Their large terrace and patio gives you a view of the vineyards as you chill with your girlfriends, and you can even get a fabulous peek at the mountains from afar. They have plenty of wine options for your tasting, and offer quite the luxurious experience and setting.
Where to Stay
- The Dundee Hotel | Located in downtown Dundee on Route 99, otherwise known as the wine highway. This is just a six minute drive from Archery Summit and a perfect location to walk to other happening places around town. The hotel has a cozy patio with a fireplace, local art decorated all throughout, and wine tasting rooms that are available to guests while they wait to be checked in or out. One amenity that might interest bachelorette parties or groups that would prefer to stay all together is the Squad Room, which is equipped with six bunk beds and an awesome entertainment area.
- Hazelwood Haven: Private Guest-Suite | This VRBO is just 1.7 miles away from Archery Summit, and offers the entire lower level as a great luxury guest suite for you and the girls. It is located on a five-acre hazelnut orchard, and houses up to six guests. It is close to downtown, but is still nice and secluded, as it’s outside city limits. MY favorite part? Its hot tub!
- The Allison Inn & Spa | While it is not in walking distance of Argyle Winery, it is roughly just a ten minute drive away, and oh man… it is the epitome of luxury! This resort offers an exquisite dining experience at their restaurant, healing treatments at their spa, as well as stunning views and walking trails through their gardens. A fun perk I love is that they have live jazz in the Living Room on Friday and Saturday nights.
- Luxury VRBO Cottage | This cozy cottage furnished with antiques houses four people and is walkable to many attractions, while still being a tranquil location to stay for a girls weekend. It is just 2.5 miles away from Argyle Winery. After a day at the winery, you will love returning to this adorable home and relax on the porch rocker, the backyard hammock, or perhaps the lounging furniture!
- The Black Walnut Inn & Vineyard | This inn is just roughly two miles away from the Lange Winery and has both the luxury of a hotel and the feel of a small B&B. It is a nine-room villa set above 100 acres of pinot noir and chardonnay vines, forests of Douglas Fir, and the Red Hills of Dundee. It was voted as one of the 10 Best Wine Country Hotels in the 2020 USA Today Reader’s Choice travel awards, and was the only Oregon hotel to be included! The breakfast included is a favorite for many there, as well as their tastings that are very informational regarding winemaking, food pairing, and the history of Willamette Valley.
- Dundee Wine Villa | Stationed just a few steps away from Harvey Creek hiking trails, this contemporary VRBO is a mere mile and a half away from Lange Winery. It houses up to eight people, and is a great option for one of your larger girls weekend trips! It sits atop one of the rolling hills and is roughly a mile away from the rest of Dundee’s fun restaurants and sites. It has two floors, so whenever you or any of the ladies want some private time, that is easily achieved.
So, what are you waiting for? Pack that corkscrew and let’s go!