We Wanna Girl’s Weekend in Iowa!
Located between the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers, Iowa is in the heart of the Midwest. And with My Girlfriendships® being all about the love, I think it’s an ideal destination for a girl’s weekend.
Those who haven’t explored Iowa may believe it’s made up of rolling fields and cornfields, but there’s so much more to it. This week we highlight two fun cities for your girl’s getaway, Cedar Rapids and Des Moines.
Cedar Rapids is a quiet, quaint city in eastern Iowa. It’s known as the “City of Five Seasons” because the fifth season was created to mindfully enjoy all other seasons and life! What better place to enjoy our life together with our friends?
What to Do
- NewBo City Market | At this cultural and community gathering space, you’ll find art, music, shopping, yoga classes, and even occasional festivals! The products sold inside are mostly start-up and local businesses that were founded locally, too. The market is a great spot to stroll through, but if you’re looking for something more active, you and your girlfriends can sign up for a group bike ride hosted by NewBo. This place has it all!
- Cedar Rapids Museum of Art | Thriving and dynamic. More than 7,800 works of art. Located in the heart of downtown. Daily tours. A place to entice you and your besties for sure!
Where to Stay
- DoubleTree By Hilton | The hotel is in the perfect downtown location. It’s connected to the U.S. Cellular Center which is home to local events and conventions. On the 16th floor of the hotel is the 350 First Lounge where you can take in the grand view of downtown and grab a drink or an appetizer. The hotel also has a local shuttle that will take you anywhere within a five-mile radius. You’ll love it!
- Airbnb The Clark House Silver, Cedar Rapids | This Airbnb is incredibly unique! The owner describes it as “modern, shabby sleek with a little extra sprinkled on top”. The extra she is referring to is the home’s exterior. The entire home is painted rainbow colors! The inside is just as cute too. The Airbnb boasts big, beautiful chandeliers, a large clawfoot tub and loads of cozy furnishings. You and your girlfriends will love this fun stay.
Des Moines is the capital, and it’s a great spot to adventure downtown with your girlfriends! Besides the famous landmark of the Des Moines Art Center, here are two other memorable things to do if you’re gathering in Des Moines.
What to Do
- Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden | What a wonderful spot for you and your girlfriends to spend the day. It borders the Des Moines River, making the outside of the garden just as gorgeous as the inside. Outside you’ll find more than 14 acres bursting with the Midwest’s plants. Inside are more than 1,000 varieties of exotic plants with an impressive herb garden and bonsai collection.
- Pappajohn Sculpture Garden | This 4.4 acre park features artwork by 22 of the world’s most celebrated artists. There is a pedestrian-friendly entrance in downtown Des Moines, but the park runs through the city’s major crossroads and is spectacular at night. The art is a phenomenal sight to see but the landscape makes it that much better. It’s a great place for a stroll with your ladies!
Where to Stay
- Des Lux Hotel | This is the largest luxury hotel located in one of America’s most dynamic downtowns, Des Moines. The hotel offers suites with fireplaces and whirlpools plus complimentary daily breakfast. The bar onsite is the Des Lux Bar and their slogan is “Nice Place, Mean Martini” so you and your gals are guaranteed to get your cocktail fix here!
- Airbnb Historic Union Park Home | In this Airbnb you’ll find the best of both worlds: modern amenities in the historic neighborhood of Union Park. It’s just minutes from downtown Des Moines and one block from the river, park, and trails. There are four cozy rooms, a cute porch swing to enjoy your morning coffee and conversation, and a fully-furnished kitchen where you and your girlfriends can cook up a homemade dinner.