The West is the Best for Girlfriends
I think Nevada is one of the best places for a road trip because, with places like Hoover Dam, Red Rock Canyon, Lake Tahoe, and Lake Mead, you have so many options that are easy to get to by car. This week, though, My Girlfriendships® makes two recommendations for destinations I didn’t put in that list (and are at different ends of the vibe spectrum), Las Vegas and Carson City.
First, the most notorious of the Nevada destinations: Las Vegas. “Sin City” is all about bright lights and buzzing energy! There are hundreds of places to gamble, party, or shop, and it is a top foodie destination, too. And please let’s not forget my Raiders. I will always refer to them as the Oakland Raiders, but for now, they are in Vegas baby. If you’re a football fan like me, check out a game. When in Vegas, you and your girlfriends must add these activities to your list:
What to Do
- Spa At Palms | Looking to be pampered? This is the place to go! Sure, they have the standard services like a massage or a facial, but why not go for something a bit more specialized, like an oracle reflection or a chakra balancing treatment? Spa treatments alway include crystal gemstones and aromatherapy!
- Absinthe at Caesars Palace | There’s plenty to do after the sun sets, and Absinthe should be included. It’s a hilarious, adults-only show with a blend of carnival and ridiculously talented performers. (It was recently rated #1 Greatest Show in Las Vegas History by the Las Vegas Weekly.) Absinthe is ideal if your group of girlfriends can’t decide what show to see, and want to do something a tad bit out of the traditional. Warning: It’s not for the timid!
Where to Stay in Las Vegas
- The Cosmopolitan | The Cosmopolitan is a luxury hotel in the heart of Las Vegas. Pete and I stayed here while his company held a conference at a neighboring hotel. The resort is beautiful, and the rooms boast spectacular views of the skyline. But that’s only the beginning. The Cosmopolitan has six venues with different entertainment everyday. There are a variety of restaurants, bars, and casinos inside the hotel too. In fact, you and your besties would never have to leave the hotel because the Cosmopolitan can be a trip in itself!
- CenterStrip Sinatra’s Penthouse | Wouldn’t it be cool to stay in a condo in the very same building where Frank Sinatra lived in the 1970’s? This is it! Start spreading the news!!! This spacious, three-bedroom condo will keep you and up to 11 of your girlfriends comfortable. And here’s an added bonus: you get guest access to The Cosmopolitan’s pools, gym, hot tub, and valet parking, plus access to certain nightclubs connected to The Cosmopolitan. This penthouse is a great spot to host your next girls trip!
Or maybe you and your girlfriends aren't in the mood for the big city, and want a more relaxed, small town vibe. Head to Nevada’s capital, Carson City. It’s about a six and a half hour drive from Vegas, but an hour from Reno,and Lake Tahoe. Once in Carson City, you’ll be transported to a walkable city with options for fun activities like boating, fishing, jet skiing, dirt bike riding, and skiing. Here are some other great things to do:
What to Do in Carson City
- Carson Hot Springs | “Soak, savor, and sip” is the motto at Carson’s Hot Springs. Here, natural mineral water flows out of the ground at 121 degrees, then it’s cooled with air spray and an evaporative cooling to bring the swimming water to about 94 degrees in the winter and 99 degrees in the summer. At the hot springs you guys can also grab a locally-sourced meal from Sassafras Eclectic Food Joint or a beer from Shoe Tree Brewing.
- Kings Canyon Waterfall | Kings Canyon Waterfall is a gorgeous, 25-foot, cascading waterfall. It’s most full in the springtime, but still beautiful to see all year round. From the trailhead, the waterfall is only about ¼ mile hike away. There is a three-mile loop available for hiking or large, open space perfect for a picnic! The water is cold, but the bravest people will bring a swimsuit!
Where to Stay in Carson City
Carson Tahoe Hotel | Carson Tahoe Hotel is a small, boutique hotel in downtown Carson City. It boasts newly-renovated, spacious rooms and elegant accommodations, making it a cozy spot to relax with your girlfriends. It’s in a great location downtown, minutes from Lake Tahoe and Virginia City.
963 Tanglewood, South Lake Tahoe | I spent every Fourth of July and New Year’s Eve in Tahoe. I wish I would have had a place like this back then! This cute, newly updated cabin has everything you need: a well appointed kitchen, a huge jacuzzi (pack your swimsuit!), and is large enough to sleep 10. It’s perfectly located in the Highland Woods area of South Lake Tahoe so you always have the option for shopping and great restaurants, too. Perfect for your girls weekend!
There is so much fun to be had in Nevada. Like I said, the west is the best for girlfriends!