Nourish Your Soul With Girlfriendships in North Carolina
How does this sound for a perfect girl’s weekend:
Start the day with mountains, and finish it on the ocean beach. A moderate climate that almost guarantees you could wear flip-flops every day of the year. (My kind of place for sure!) Rich culture, art, sports, and history.
It does sound perfect, doesn’t it? You and your girlfriends can find all this and more in North Carolina. This week we’re taking you to Durham and Asheville, two exceptional destinations.
Easy travel is always a great way to start a trip, isn’t it? In 2019, J.D. Powers ranked Raleigh-Durham International in its top 5 large North American airports for customer satisfaction. Sounds like a great beginning!
What to Do
- Sarah P. Duke Gardens | Sure, it’s temporarily closed due to COVID restrictions, but if you’re making plans for later in the year, you have to put this site on your itinerary. It’s an eye-popping 55 acres of specialized grounds in the heart of the Duke University campus. There is so much beauty and nature for your group to take in, whether you’re on the guided walking tour, riding the trolley, or just meandering on your own.
- The PinHook | Whatever you choose to do during the day, make sure to end it at the PinHook. It’s the spot for musicians, comedy, dancing, drag shows…. Check out some of their past entertainers to get a feel for the variety.
It doesn’t matter who or what shows you and your friends see, you will have so much fun soaking in the communal energy around you!
Where to Stay
- The Durham Hotel | This spot is a mid-century and modern boutique hotel in the heart of downtown Durham. The rooms are thoughtfully designed with all the amenities you can think of. The hotel also features a coffee shop, a rooftop lounge, and a restaurant. The hotel boasts unbeatable city views, handcrafted cocktails, and seasonal menus. You and your girlfriends will love this hotel!
- Lux Modern Retreat | This Airbnb is a superhost, which means that the owner is an experienced host who provides a stellar example for others. This home was newly remodeled, and is very close to downtown. Three bedrooms—two kings and one queen— make up the cozy space. This Airbnb also has plenty of amenities available to make you and your girlfriends feel even more at home.
About a three hour drive west of Durham is the magical city of Asheville. It’s tucked in between the Great Smoky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Mountains, and is renowned for its art scene. Here are some other activities for you and your besties.
What to Do
- Wai Mauna Paddleboarding | Wai Mauna is the #1 rated paddle boarding company in Asheville! There is a 4 mile trip, a 7 mile trip, and an 11 mile trip along the scenic French Broad River. If you’re staying somewhere close, Wai Mauna will drop the paddleboards at your door so you can paddle on your own time, too. This is a really fun and unique way to work up a sweat and laugh a whole lot together.
- The Spa at The Omni Grove Park Inn | 43,000 square feet of space with beautiful cavernous rock walls, tunnels, arches, and ambient waterfall pools. 19 additional water features. Fiber-optic stars on the ceiling. Full-service spa for all kinds of body treatments. A no-electronics policy. Doesn’t this sound like an amazing way for you and your girls to spend your days in Asheville?!
Where to Stay
- Cambria | Cambria is in downtown Asheville and is a trendy, modern and accommodating hotel. It also overlooks the Blue Ridge Mountains. The hotel is full of high-tech amenities and sophisticated accommodations. It’s very comfortable and stylish too. Cambria has an authentic Cuban restaurant and rooftop bar, Hemingway’s. Put this one on your list for your girls trip!
- Great NC apartment | This Airbnb is a spacious, newly remodeled, bright apartment in downtown Asheville. There’s a cute deck where you can sit and enjoy your coffee while taking in the city views too. You’ll all love the downtown feel here. It’s comfortable and relaxing, making it the perfect spot for you and your girls to get away.