My Girlfriendships® and the Freshness of California
When our featured state for your next girls weekend has a city known as the Avocado Capital of the World (self-proclaimed, but still), we knew our featured recipe would center on the fresh taste of an avocado.
Speaking of “fresh” and “avocados”, follow this recipe and you and your girlfriends are guaranteed an “ahhhh-mazing” (that’s the exact word one of us used to describe it) salad.
Ingredients for 6 | Multiply by degree of hunger, divide by number of girlfriends!
- 2 cups cooked corn, fresh or frozen *see Recipe note below
- 1-2 avocados, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Combine the corn, avocado, tomatoes, and onion in a large glass bowl.
Mix together the dressing ingredients in another bowl.
Pour dressing over the corn, avocado, tomatoes, and onion, and gently toss to mix.
Chill salad for 1-2 hours to let the flavors blend.
Fresh corn is best here. There are many ways that you can prepare it:
- Bring a pot of water to boiling and boil the corn for 3-5 minutes.
- Grill the corn over medium high heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Keep the corn in its husk and microwave for 3-5 minutes. It steams the corn.
- Cut the corn off the cob and sauté in a pan with a little oil for 3-5 minutes.
Looking for a place to gather with girlfriends when visiting Chico or Santa Barbara? Here are a couple of great options when planning your next girlfriend gathering:
- 5th Street Steakhouse, Chico | 5th Street Steakhouse is a locally owned and operated restaurant featuring U.S.D.A. prime cuts of beef, fresh seafood, a full service bar, and an extensive wine list. Located in picturesque downtown Chico, the owners pride themselves in providing the best quality cuisine in town—their satisfaction comes from the finest service that will make any experience there memorable. Our menu recommendation is the "Whole Body Fitness" entree: blackened halibut or chicken breast with choice of two vegetable sides. Healthy and delicious.
- Boathouse at Hendry's Beach, Santa Barbara | Visiting Santa Barbara? Our choice for you is the Boathouse at Hendry’s Beach. Not only delicious, fresh seafood, but add in the spectacular views of the ocean while dining, and we found your girlfriend's gathering place. Can’t choose between the many fresh seafood options? Cioppino, a seafood stew and a Boathouse specialty, has everything you would want in one dish. Spicy tomato broth with mussels, clams, fresh fish, shrimp, scallops, stone crab claw served with mesquite grilled garlic bread.
Sounds like the perfect blend of food and fun. You need only bring your friends!
Recipe and Photo sources: