It’s All About the Love with Flowers and Fruit in Florida
Thank you, Ponce de Leon.
Thank you for finding that piece of land northeast of Puerto Rico and naming it la Florida, "the land of flowers.” The, consider that we just celebrated the #1 occasion for the most fresh flowers sold and delivered, Valentine’s Day, a day of love, and My Girlfriendships® is all about the love, it was the obvious choice to make Ponce’s efforts (yes, we’re on a first name basis) this week’s choice for a girls getaway destination!
One of the most sought after vacation spots in Florida is Key West, so this week, I’m making Key Lime Pie.
Ingredients for 10 | Multiply by degree of hunger, divide by number of girlfriends!
3 hours 27 minutes
Graham cracker crust
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
Key Lime filling
- 28 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 3/4 cup key lime juice
- Zest from 2 regular limes or 4 key limes
Whipped cream topping
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make the graham cracker crust.
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter in a small bowl. Press the crumb mixture into an 8" - 9.5" pie pan. Bake for 7 minutes. Cool for at least 30 minutes.
Make Key Lime filling. Preheat oven to 350º
Whisk together sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice, and lime zest in a medium bowl.
Pour into prepared graham cracker crust and bake for 10 minutes.
Let pie cool slightly before chilling. Chill for at least 3 hours.
Make whipped cream topping.
Beat heavy cream and sugar together in a mixer until stiff peaks form.
Beat in vanilla.
Spread or pipe the whipped cream on top of the cooled pie. Top with additional lime zest if desired.
Are you and your girlfriends staying at a traditional hotel or resort and unable to cook? Here are a couple of great options when planning your next girlfriend gathering:
- Two Friends Patio Restaurant | How perfectly friendly! One of the last remaining establishments of Old Key West, this is perfect for girlfriend meetups—whether it’s just the two of you or a dozen! Here you will experience the true Island flavor of the original Key West. Their restaurant and bar specializes in local seafood dishes including shrimp, fish, lobster, oysters, conch, and crab, and they serve the Island's best char-grilled steaks and burgers. Not only is their seafood both fresh and delicious, but can be enjoyed on the patio as you listen to the live music of Duval Street, in the salty ocean air.
Two Friends offers small plates which are perfect for sharing and for tasting everything: Mussels Rosso, coconut shrimp, crab cake (with key lime mustard sauce), fried lobster, bacon wrapped scallops. I could go on and on and on!
- The Mad Hatter | Do your plans take you to Sanibel Island? The Mad Hatter chefs prepare everything from scratch. They have a reputation for inspired and eclectic menu choices that evolve with the season. The whimsical decor mimics the fantasy of Alice and Wonderland, and the dining room boasts spectacular sunset views.
The most popular item on the menu (a don’t miss) is starter Goat Cheese Pillows: crispy phyllo filled with goat cheese, roasted green onion, spinach, strawberry and port wine reduction. On an island, Bouillabaisse (seafood stew of lobster, shrimp, scallop, little neck clams, grouper, and market fish in a saffron, tomato and herb broth with garlic aioli and crostini) sounds like a perfectly delicious choice.
Wherever you travel in Florida, you are bound to have warm, quality time with your girlfriends. Enjoy the sunshine!