Alabama: An Amazing Time Awaits!
My Girlfriendships® continues its spotlight on the south, and this week it’s Alabama. We chose it for its important civil rights monuments, museums, and historic sites, and of course the beautiful, natural attractions. But Alabama is also known for the heat! That’s why both destinations are on the Gulf Coast: Orange Beach and the state’s capital, Mobile. If you enjoy hot weather, you’re going to love your girl's trip to Alabama.
It’s the easternmost beach town (the Florida border is about 24 miles away) of the state. Its white sand beaches are made almost entirely of fine, quartz grains washed down from the Appalachian Mountains. Sounds amazing, doesn’t it?
What to Do
- High Cotton Bath Company | You and your girlfriends must try the ‘Signature Experience Party’ where you’ll learn how to mix and match essential oils, create your own scents, and then create your own bath and body products! Bring your own snacks and drinks but the set-up, instruction, and clean up are provided by the staff.
- The Hangout Restaurant | Sure, it’s a great bar and restaurant, but you’re not going there just to eat and drink. The Hangout has live music, wooden couches, small scattered bars, and an outdoor stage. They also have a sand area, a fire pit, trampolines(!) and if you’re lucky, you’ll be there on the night of a foam party. Wait. What? That's all we’re going to say. You’ll have to experience it!
Where to Stay
- Caribe Resort | Caribe Resort has amazing luxury condo rentals, a gorgeous lazy river pool, and the #1 seafood restaurant in Alabama, Cobalt. The condo rentals come with fully-equipped kitchens if you want to cook your dinner too. The resort features saunas, hot tubs and tennis courts so you will have plenty of activities to do with your girlfriends right where you are staying.
- Beach Bungalow at Phoenix on the Bay, | This Airbnb is a 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom condo on the 3rd floor of Phoenix on the Bay. It’s large and colorful with an underwater theme. There is a gorgeous wrap-around balcony with plenty of seating for gabbin’ with your girls. With the huge, bright, floor-to-ceiling windows, this condo feels even bigger than it is. Additionally, the Airbnb boasts a wet bar, a Jacuzzi tub, and access to the shared pool and courtyard.
About an hour north, yet still on the Gulf, is Mobile. Of course it has all the usual attractions you’d expect from a capital city. Here are two other ideas.
What to Do
- Saenger Theatre | The Saenger Theatre is a beautiful, architectural landmark—the building itself is worth the visit. This historic, European-style structure is home to Mobile’s Symphony Orchestra, Alabama Lyric Theatre, The Saenger Summer movie series, and more. There is such a wide variety of shows to see. If the arts are on your agenda, include Saenger Theatre.
- Mobile Flea Market | The Mobile flea market is a bargain hunter’s dream! It’s the largest flea market on the Gulf coast. With over 800 booths, you’ll need an entire day to walk the aisles. Put on comfortable shoes and search through the furniture, antique treasures, fresh produce, and more. There are vendors from all over the world! Going to the flea market will be a great adventure for all.
Where to Stay
- Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel | This hotel is an awesome spot to experience the city of Mobile. It’s stylish, comfortable, elegant, and very convenient. You and your girlfriends will also love the hotel’s onsite restaurant, The Harbor Room and Fathom’s Lounge.
- The Mardis Gras Manor | This Airbnb is walkable, historic, and known as a local treasure! It’s a 118 year old Victorian villa with recent renovations and modern amenities. The Airbnb boasts an authentic clawfoot tub, ultra high ceilings and beautiful bay windows. And of course, a wonderful, all-seasons porch to sip wine and eat charcuterie. You and your girlfriends will love it here.